Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What is a Chicken Hawk? An Update

Some time ago I posted a popular entry, "What is a Chicken Hawk?"

In that post I cited Jeff Jacoby's response to the liberal slur against non-uniformed supporters of the Iraq war. You know the attack: "If you're so gung-ho on this disastrous imperial war, why don't you enlist and put your body in harm's way yourself?"

I wrote the post originally to respond to a rabidly hate-filled attack on my pro-administration stance.


I still get these upleasant rants, of course, generally of the same venomous variety. Lefty commenters here just can't stand that I'm a civilian educator who supports the war. I'm attacked as a fascist blowhard, a "BushHitler" lemming, or whatever the most recent denunciation happens to be. You know what I'm talking about!

Recently I've been attacked by the anonymous guy over at
Ecophotos blog. He first attacked me some time back - out of the blue - after I'd left a friendly comment on Echidne of the Snake's blog during one of my "good morning" commenting rounds to other bloggers.

Apparently, Ecophoto Man doesn't like what I write, and he's taken exception to my post on Markos Moulitsas, "
The Daily Kos Syndrome." He called rightwingers "assholes" in his first comment (under the pseudonym "The New Civil War in Amerca"). But rather than debate the post by examining my critique of Kos's Washington Post essay, Ecophoto Man has returned for additional attacks. Here's a snippet of Ecophoto Man's rant:

I AM A LIBERAL, A DEMOCRAT, AND A LOYAL AMERICAN CITIZEN WHOSE KID IS SERVING IN IRAQ (A CAPTAIN IN THE U.S. ARMY AND CURRENTLY ON HER THIRD DEPLOYMENT). YOUR WILD AND INCORRECT ASSERTION OFFENDS ME. GET A LIFE!

WRONG, MR. DOUGLAS. YOUR PARTISAN IDEOLOGY HAS NO ROOM TO HONOR THE SACRIFICES OF... THOSE FAMILIES WHO JUST HAPPEN TO BE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE AISLE. YOU AND YOUR READERS ARE LITTLE MORE THAN SELF-CONGRATULATING SYCOPHANTS.
I've think I've joked before about the PROCLIVITY FOR CAPITAL LETTERS in one of my earlier posts.

Notice the appeal to military service - Ecophoto Man's got a kid in uniform! The chicken hawk slur is alive and well!

So let's update a bit here: Lisa De Pasquale's got a great esssy up today at Townhall.com, "
Are We Hypocrites for Not Enlisting?" The essay's a reponse to the recent criticism of Mitt Romney, who recently defended his sons in their choice not to enlist in the military. Here's the key segment of De Pasquale's entry:

Liberals’ incessant calls to draft every 18-year-old College Republican is tantamount to the disrespect they have for the military. They demand that every person who supports the war join the military or send their children. If they don’t, they’re hypocrites. This isn’t going to be a winning strategy for the Left. Is every person that wears an AIDS ribbon, but doesn’t go to Africa (as Laura and Jenna Bush did) to help children with HIV/AIDS a hypocrite? Are vice presidents and celebrities that travel in private jets and SUVs while lecturing the little people on the proper amount of toilet paper also hypocrites?

In Treason, Ann Coulter wrote, “Instead of relentlessly attacking the military as immature or testosterone crazed – meaning ‘braver than me’ – liberals might have the good grace to realize they live in a country where big burly men are willing to protect them from bullies.” Thanks to those extraordinary men and women that persevered through the recruitment process and continue to serve, we all enjoy freedoms that we ourselves are not willing or able to fight for.
As I noted to Ecophoto Man, the chicken hawk argument doesn't fly with me (it's dumb and intellectually dishonest).

I'll note, though, as I have before: My family members have served in uniform in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War. But it's really not necessary to mount this type of defense: It doesn't matter if conservatives or their family members have served. The chicken hawk attack is just a deflection: Liberals don't want to debate the real issues, so they'll assume your lack of military credentials, and then attack you as a hypocrite. It's pathetic, but that's the way it is on the irrational left these days.

But hey, check out Jules Crittenden's response to the chicken hawk slur as well! With all the tough liberal talk of standing up for principle, maybe we'll see more peaceniks chuggin' on over to Iraq to line up as human shields!

Update: Ecophoto Man has posted his entire rant in the comments section of a Daily Kos post.

Now I know what's gotten that old "Swampcracker" all riled up! (Swampcracker's one more of Ecophoto Man's many pseudonyms.) If you attack the prophet the faithful will retaliate in a rage of pious passion. Where's Islamic Rage Boy when you need him!

No comments: